American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Charcloth Junkie

Yep, it's official...I'm a charcloth addict.

I made several batches to distribute on Sunday's hike which was all handed out. Yesterday I made another two batches. The first came out extremely well and the second did not.

Sadly the second batch was the big one.

I could cook it all some more but have more charcloth than any small nation could use in a reasonable period of time.

I really don't know how I spent so much time in the woods last year (and this year to some extent) without carrying some charcloth.

I am now convinced that (while flint and steel firestarting is hugely rewarding) charcloth and firesteel firestarting is possibly the most effective (best chance of success) method of building a fire.

As always, TEST YOUR CHARCLOTH before heading out to the woods with a new batch. If it doesn't work and you've planned to use it exclusively you're are up the proverbial creek. It's also best to never plan to use one method exclusively.


  • Plan
  • Alternate
  • Contingency
  • Emergency

I guess that means have FOUR methods available.

Pictures from Sunday will go up shortly.

Stay tuned,

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home