American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, March 31, 2006

Cordage


Watched another McPherson DVD last night. This time it was "Primitive Fire & Cordage." (By the way, these hotlinks offer streaming video trailers which had a great deal to do with my decision to buy.)

This time John and Geri showed three methods of starting a fire by "rubbing two sticks together" and made cordage from plant and animal materials. The backstrap sinew bow string was especially impressive to watch.

Once again I found myself running off in search of something to turn into cordage. Paracord is readily available in my house so I grabbed a couple of chunks to practice the cording technique and the splicing technique. Once I got the hang of the twist and wrap the process went quickly. Before I knew it I had a hank of double-thickness paracord about 20' long. This included one splice which I had to do twice as the first time it didn't hold when I tugged on the cord.

These videos are so dense with theory and background that you don't want to miss a minute. If you do, like I did, you'll need to go back for the finer points.

I'll play around with making some cordage this weekend when I get out in the woods and I'll post my results here with pictures if I can get some.

Thanks for reading,

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home