American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Every Day Carry (EDC)



Sunday I had this knife with me and used it to carve a flat into my hiking stick (the broom handle--as it's been called) and a notch at the mid-point in case I choose to use the stick when pitching a shelter.

The knife is a Bark River Knife & Tool (link at right) OMF with a "modified" tip. I...um...modified the tip while carving in the woods one day. It used to be a wharncliffe with a nice pointy tip but using that pointy tip to pry a piece of well-seasoned (read hard and dry) wood was a mistake. That pointy tip is still in that piece of wood somewhere.

I had to come home with my broken knife and hit it on the belt sander a few times to get the sheepsfoot blade you see now. Then I used a Scotchbrite belt to blend in the grind lines and used the heck out of the blade to get the patina you see.

I LOVE user knives.

To carry on with the firesteel theme the week seems to be taking, this knife throws wicked big sparks when using the spine up near the curve.

I have heard rumors that a larger version of this knife is coming out. I wonder how it'll look as a sheepsfoot...

Thanks for reading,

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home