American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, April 20, 2006

On Fire

Using fatwood as the source of your scraped "fuzz" and shaved curls generates a fast-igniting long-burning fire. The resin in the wood will accelerate the fire even if your fuzz gets a little bit wet.

To prove this I attempted the firesteel starting yesterday with my Dozier Delta Traveller, my Scout firesteel, and a single piece of fatwood. Scraping the fuzz is a bit of a process on fatwood as the resin that helps it to burn also helps the fuzz to stick right to the knife. I scraped a pile approximately 3" in diameter and 1/4" high. To that I added as many curls as I could shave/carve off the stick.

One strike of the firesteel and the whole mess went up. Poof!

I used the remaining bit of fatwood to spread the fire out and had several tiny fires buring all at the same time.

A few spritzes from a spray bottle did little to deter the burning. I suspect in a downpour you'd still be in trouble but in light mist you should be able to get your fire going without excessive worry.

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home