American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, June 16, 2006

JRE Prototype Pouch Sheaths Unveiled

Last night I headed down to JRE Industries for a visit and to shoot the bull. Little did I know I was going to be witness to the production of some prototype sheaths which are slated for production.

Spen had some pieces of leather already cut when I arrived and he promptly put me to work punching holes and roughing the leather in preparation for glue. I didn't actually know what I was punching and roughing until he assembled the first one and stitched it.

These pouches are all made of some nice thick leather (8-9oz. according to Spen) and some had integral firesteel loops and some did not. There were several sizes which looked capable of holding a wide array of Bark River knives from the Minis (Canadian, North Star, etc.) all the way up to the Gameskeepers.

There is a copper rivet in the top corner of the sheath which adds, in my opinion, a very nice touch. It quickly catches the eye and should also develop a nice "character" once it begins to patina. As much as I've been a fan of kydex in the past I have to say a nice worn-in leather sheath really grabs me. Each has a place and it is ultimately up to the end user to decide which option best suits him or her.

Without further ado, here are some pictures I snapped last night while the sheaths were being finished. There are no finished sheaths in these pictures but they were getting close by the time I headed for home around 1am.




I can't wait to see these shipping with future knives. It'll be great if Mike Stewart will offer them (for a fee) for presently-owned knives. I sure wouldn't mind having one of the firesteel models for my Mini Northstar.

Thanks for reading,

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home