American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, September 01, 2006

Aluminum Foil

Another way to secure those small parts in your PSK is to wrap them all up in a piece of Aluminum Foil. This does two things for you.

1.It keeps all of the small items in a single package nice and secure.
2.It gives you a valuable addition to your PSK--the foil.

Aluminum Foil can be used for many things in a survival situation but the most important may be as a container for water. You can shape the foil into a bowl, fill it with water, and place it next to the fire. Bring the water to a boil and allow it to cool and you'll have potable water.

As long as you're gentle with the foil it should last in this role for quite some time. I don't have an actual figure as I normally carry a metal container in my bag.

Perhaps I'll do some work with a foil container this weekend.

Thanks for reading,

B

2 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Pablo said...

Great posts on PSK's. It's reminded me to revisit my main PSK, although I keep elements of PSK's in my possibles pouch and shoulder bag.

Why didn't I think of Aluminium foil for boiling emergency water in an emergency? That's going in my pouch immediately!

BTW, I've posted a reply to your comment on my blog.

Regards

Pablo

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Outstanding. Thanks for the feedback.

Not only can the foil be used as a container but you can also use it as a reflector (use two sticks on the sides and a rock as the base) with your campfire to "bake" fish and other edibles on a hot rock.

You could use it as the shiny bit that catches a fish's attention.

Wrap food in the foil, throw it in the coals, and come back when it's time to eat with little worry that your food is a blackened charred mess.

Great stuff considering the size and weight.

Thanks again,

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home