American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, October 27, 2006

Gutted

My desktop crashed a couple of days ago. As a former professional computer geek I considered it a minor inconvenience. Now it looks as if it is a much more significant problem.

The hard drive has bad sectors all over the area where the system files are written and the computer won't even boot in safe mode. Today is the day we kick up the efforts a couple of notches.

If my efforts are unsuccessful, I stand to lose Gigs upon Gigs of photos (including those from the birth of both kids,) music, and personal files that simply cannot be replaced.

Not going to be much time in the woods today.

The lesson:
Back up those files that you want to keep on a regular basis as you just never know when it's going to be too late.

B

1 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some bad news - sorry to hear this. Happened to me a year ago and I bought a Maxtor One-Touch, and instead of using their own proprietary software (nightmare to figure out), I used Norton Ghost - easy to set up and now my computer is backed up each day and I haven't touched it in months.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home