American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, October 07, 2006

The Stalk

Yesterday I spent most of the day in the woods.

The first hour of my afternoon hike was spent moving very slowly first to make sure I could find and identify the musclewood trees and then to prevent spooking a doe who hadn't noticed me as I came tromping down the path.

Over the course of an hour I moved (maybe) 15 feet. During that time the squirrels running through the dry leaf litter scared Ms. Deer more than I did. What finally spooked her enough to raise the white flag was a strange noise that sounded three times. I don't know what it was, can't even really describe it, but know that it isn't anything I've heard before.

I knew my stalk was going well when a second doe crossed between us without even glancing my way. I managed to snap about 30 pictures during the stalk but don't know if any of them even came out as the light was fading fast. I'll know more once I get the pictures blown up on the computer.

The kids have a standing playdate on Friday afternoons so I spend the morning in the woods, pick them up from school, feed them lunch, drive them to the playdate, and head right back to the woods until it's time to come home and make dinner. Fridays are great!

Thanks for reading,

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home