American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, February 23, 2007

Headlamps

I've been using my headlamp, a Petzl Tikka, quite a bit recently. Last night it was put to a more domestic use while putting away laundry for the kids who had already gone to bed.

The light has three intensity settings and a strobe that is tons of fun when reading bedtime stories. For my uses, the lowest intensity is often plenty of light. Having the light mounted on my forehead makes it extremely easy to point the beam exactly where I want it as it inherently points where I'm looking.

It runs on three AAA batteries and I've been using my headlamp for 6-12 months on the first set with no signs of dimming. It only weighs a couple of ounces and wears comfortably for hours if necessary although I tend to wrap the strap around the light and stuff it in a coat pocket if I'm not using it continuously just to keep the batteries warm and to prevent loss.

The Tikka runs on LEDs so bulbs should never need replacement and for about $30US it should handle most, if not all, of your outdoor (and indoor) lighting needs.

Thanks for reading,

B

2 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, Blogger Pablo said...

Even though your pic isn't coming through it sounds like the Tikka xp. I think the torch is great as well. Do you have the filters? I use the red filter in the woods, but I like the idea of the filter sliding across so you can still use the white light.
Regards, Pablo

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Pablo,

According to REI it's the Tikka Plus. I like the XP but, having also a MYO 5 (incandescent/LED,) cannot justify having a third lamp at this time.

Having a filter would be handy to preserve some night vision but I find the combination of headlamp and UCO candle to provide plenty of light for the close quarters lighting requirements I often have in the woods.


B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home