American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, March 26, 2007

Palmetto Frond Cordage

Today I planned to do some work with the Palmetto fronds that are everywhere down here. While grilling last night it occurred to me that I could make cordage from the dried fronds that were little more than litter.

Unfortunately I got up this morning with a little reminder that driving around all day with my arm hanging out the window while not wearing sunscreen is a bad idea.

So, instead, I'm laying low until the sun goes down a bit. Tonight I may go out and collect some fronds and work up on the patio.

Otherwise I'll nab some tomorrow during the day and try to shoot some pictures of the process. Perhaps I'll get Laura to do the photography while I work the cordage.

Thanks for reading,

B

2 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What happened to the cordage??

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Mary,

I managed to cut my hand with the spine of a kitchen knife down here and the rolling of the fronds was just tearing the cut open over and over.

It was an idea that just wasn't worth getting an infection.

If I get another opportunity once this cut is healed a bit more I'll give it another go.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home