American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Going to School

Survival School that is...

Marty and Aggie Simon of The Wilderness Learning Center are co-hosting a campout June 15-16, 2007 followed by their Basic Survival course co-taught with George Hedgepeth of Briar Patch Outdoors.

George is one of Marty's instructors and he's opening up his own school in Michigan this year.

Marty also has a wild plants DVD here which I'm watching in between bouts of typing. So far I'm impressed with the content and Marty's presentation skills.

I'm getting anxious to see just how he and George work together and I'm really excited to learn what they're going to teach. If you're in the neighborhood of Clare, Michigan that weekend you should drop in and say hello. I'll bet it's going to be a darned good time.

I'm also looking into taking a class with Dave Schultz at H2GoKayaking as I'm going to be purchasing a kayak in the very near future. I have recently realized, however, that there are far more choices to make than just that I'm going to buy a kayak. I hope a class with Dave up in Wisconsin will give me the information I need to make an appropriate choice. It'll also be great fun to get out and paddle and learn the basic strokes, self rescue, and other basics of safe kayaking.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger Loganenator said...

Hi,

I just found your site and I'm enjoying reading your posts. I was curious if you have watched the lifeview outdoors survival training DVD called "prepared to survive"? I'm just starting to learn about bushcraft and since I haven't attended any schools yet I found this video a good complement to the books I've been reading. I hope to apply it soon by heading to your country (AZ) to take a class from Cody Lundin outside of Prescott.

Cheers,
Logan Smith
Davis, CA.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Absolutely. I believe I got my copy from Amazon.com. Do a search on the blog for "Prepared to Survive" and see if the post doesn't come up.

I had hoped to do a course with Cody late last year but it just wasn't in the cards. If I can swing the class this year I'd love to get back to the desert.

I think I was only about an hour from his school two weeks ago.

Thanks for the comments. Let me know if I can do anything to assist or encourage you as you travel down this path.

B

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

LOL! Okay, that didn't work...

Maybe I didn't write it up...

It's a good video. I don't think it's quite what you're looking for as an introduction to bushcraft/survival but it does provide a high-level overview of topics ranging from shelter construction to survival kit construction to water purification.

Check out Ron Hood's Woodsmaster videos at Hoods Woods for some very good information. I have all of these DVDs and find myself going to them again and again for various bits of information.

Hope that helps,

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home