American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, May 07, 2007

Plant Identification

Over the weekend I had some time to shoot pictures of the plants that are springing up in the area. I wanted to focus on those plants that seemed to be more prolific as they'll hopefully be the ones that have some edible/medicinal use. I wouldn't want to harvest anything that was growing by itself as that would wipe out any chance of that plant being more prolific in the future.

The first two of these plants I know. The last three I don't.


Garlic Mustard



Mayapple




George Hedgepeth of Briar Patch (see comments) says this is Wild Ginger.
According to Marty Simon of the Wilderness Learning Center this is Virginia Waterleaf. And so is the last picture.



Virginia Waterleaf, according to Marty, "...can have either a white or light purple flower. Good eating in your spring salads." How exciting to have so many edible plants right here in the yard.


Please forgive my clever captions on the last three. It's been a long weekend and this morning my brain's gone on holiday...

If you know these plants please don't hesitate to let me know and I'll edit the post to reflect a positive identification.

In the meantime, I'm going back to Marty Simon's DVD to see if I can learn some more of these plants.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK- The third plant is Wild Ginger. Pull up the prostate stem and smell it!~ This is a super useful plant- good for flavor, for nausea, and for gas cramps.

I think the fourth is a variety of waterleaf. I am not sure at all about the last one. Take a few, press them in a book, and bring them up if you want!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Thanks George. I've updated the post to reflect your comments.

I'll do some more looking on waterleaf in my books to see if I can get more specific.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home