American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, June 09, 2007

I'm getting spoiled

I've said it before and I'll say it again, JRE Industries makes some of the best darned leather gear I've ever had the pleasure of owning and using.

I still remember seeing some of the first stuff to come out of "the basement" (Spen's original shop) and thinking that it was darned good for a hobby maker. Comparing it to the current production and custom stuff however it is a bit primitive.

I've learned to look for straight, even stitching. The edges should be smooth. Rivets should be in the right way (yes, there's a right and a wrong way to put in rivets.) If the sheath is to be "finished" with dye or some other treatment (i.e. beeswax, Sno Seal, mink oil, etc.) it should be applied evenly and finished to a uniform luster and color.

Yes, I'm becoming quite a leather snob.

I cut one of my sheaths a few weeks ago while twisting and pounding on my Aurora. Dan and Spen covered it under the JRE warranty and told me they'd replace it the next time I stopped in. Today I stopped by the shop and not only did they give me a brand new replacement but Spen went so far as to wet form it before giving it back. This sheath looks absolutely phenomenal.

Every sheath that comes out of the shop is an improvement over the prior one and this new sheath is no exception.

It's only a matter of time before these boys get noticed by the magazines and the BIG production companies. Just you watch.

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home