American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

ML Knives Drop Point

I received this knife several days ago and mentioned that I'd get around to writing it up. Strep throat kind of got in the way of a timely writeup so now I present to you my new ML Knives Drop Point.

This knife measures approximately 8.5" overall and the blade is 4.25" from the front of the dark maple handle slab to the point. The blade is approximately 1/8" (.125") thick and made of 1095. The dark maple handle slabs are held on with four nickle pins and, I suspect, some epoxy--they're not going anywhere. The sheath is made of some extremely thick leather and is hand stitched using what looks like a saddle stitch. Without the sheath the knife weighs 4.85 oz. (137 grams.)

The blade sports some forging scale and now a bit of patina from use. I've used it both in the kitchen and in the woods. I did sharpen it immediately upon receipt. That has nothing to do with Matt's ability to sharpen. It has to do with my "out of the box" routine which always includes a sharpening. This knife is amazingly sharp and I have not had to do more than strop the blade since I put the initial edge on it.

In hand, the knife balances right at the index finger. The handle is nicely shaped and the carving in the wood presents no irritation through extended use. I've found no hot spots to date.

I haven't yet had an opportunity to use it for skinning but choking up on the blade like this is extremely comfortable and allows some phenomenal control of the tip for fine work.

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with Matt's work and his responsiveness. If the look and style of the blades appeals to you I'd strongly encourage you to drop by his site, have a look around, and drop him an email if you've got any questions. I like this knife so much that he's going to be getting another order from me within the next couple of days.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Mungo said...

Wow - that's a nice looking knife. A drop point is my favourite, and the markings, steel is nice. I assume it is carbon-steel?
Cheers
Mungo

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, that is an awesome looking knife brian.... i really like it... looks like a perfect woods knife..... matt makes some great hard working knives....

i have my third knife from matt on the way.... it's kind of similar to yours.... you should do a little write up on it over at knifeforums, in the OSF...

cheers..

mtnfolk mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home