American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe

I had an opportunity over the weekend to use my Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe (SFA) while thinning out a tree with several small trunks (3-4" diameter.) Pushing on the trunk with one hand and bringing down the axe like a hatchet with the other made short work of the trunks. Limbing was also extremely easy work.

Despite working on the project for 15-20 minutes I can't say I ever really felt taxed.

The blade didn't need any work but I stropped it on a piece of leather afterward anyway. This has become a standard practice with all my edged tools so long as I've got the strop nearby.

Once I was finished I put the cover on the axe head, strapped it back to my pack, and then promptly forgot about it.

I got my SFA and several other Gransfors Bruks axes from Scott at Skywoods Canoe several years ago. The picture above comes directly from his site.

I can't say that the testing this weekend on the SFA was extensive nor was it extreme or abusive. It was, however, real use of the axe as intended. I've always been impressed with this axe and continue to be impressed by it.

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home