American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Acclimatization

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Acclimatization is the process of an organism adjusting to changes in its environment, often involving temperature or climate (In laboratory conditions, this same process is termed "Acclimation"). Acclimatization usually occurs in a short time, and within one organism's lifetime (compare adaptation). This may be a discrete occurrence or may instead represent part of a periodic cycle, such as a mammal shedding heavy winter fur in favor of a lighter summer coat. Where acclimatization occurs naturally, some authors have used acclimation to describe the process of an organism being forced to adjust to changes in their environment by artificial means, such as in a laboratory setting.[1]


This week I've been trying to acclimate myself to the daytime/nighttime temperatures to prepare for next week's Primitive Skills course. Highs have been in the 80s which is quite a break from the 90+ degree days we've had the past few weeks.

A week isn't really enough time for a body to adjust to a new environment but it should be long enough to better know how I'll do before I'm in the situation. Here I've got air conditioning and a shower if it's just too much. I doubt I'll find either of those things readily available once I'm on-site.

So far it's been no problem. The forecast for Michigan next week isn't much different than it's been here so I'm going in fairly confident in my ability to handle what Mother Nature may throw my way.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See ya this weekend buddy! When are you planning on arriving?

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I was hoping to come up on Saturday sometime if that's okay.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home