American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Internal Mosquito Protection

I'm trying an experiment.

I have read studies on the Internet about taking supplemental B1 vitamins to deter mosquitoes and, after a weekend of getting destroyed by them, am going to give it a go.

I'm taking 50mg of B1 three times a day and am now on my fifth day.

Excess B1 is supposed to be excreted in your urine much like excess Vitamin C and once the amount of B1 in your body has reached some sort of critical mass it will change the "smell" of your body to the pregnant mosquitoes (those are the ones that bite.)

I'm also taking garlic oil which I've read can drive ticks mad. So far I've had just one tick on me all summer and he seemed to be just passing through.

My daughter has a bad reaction to mosquito bites and, if this pans out, I'll put her on supplemental B1 during the summer months to give her a bit of an advantage against them.

Anyone out there tried this? Did it work?

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 7:06 AM, Blogger AktoMan said...

LOL, me too after finding that tick last week :)

Lass in the health shop recommended B1 and a B-Complex. She said it takes 2 weeks to kick in.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I've been doing it for one week and had a bit of a "test" the other night to see how far I'd come.

Instead of the dozens of bites I received a week ago, I came in with only three.

That could be because of the B1 and garlic, it could be because of a change of location, and it could be because of a change in the weather.

I'll have a much better idea once my two weeks is up.

Thanks for your comment,

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home