American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, August 13, 2007

Spoon Carving again

I'm giving spoon carving another go.

This time I'm working from the bowl out and am finding it strange how everybody knows this one's a spoon while still in very raw form and the finished burned bowl spoon was the recipient of plenty of ?? looks during construction despite looking like a paddle/spoon from very early on.

This time I'm using my spoon knife to carve the bowl and a Fehrman Last Chance to do the chopping and rough shaping. It's not a huge knife but carries plenty of blade mass and makes short work of the sugar maple I'm using to carve.

The biggest problem I've encountered this time around is the kids stealing my spoon whenever I set it down. I had no idea that a half-stick with a bowl carved in it would be so fun...

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home