American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Spoon Comparison


The missing spoon has been located. The first spoon I ever carved has been given away as a gift so all I've got to go by is the picture I posted when that one was finished. Let's take a look at number one versus number two shall we?









Spoon 1Spoon 2



You can see that, clearly, I'm no Ray Mears when it comes to spoon carving but there is some improvement from my first attempt to my second. This one is comfortable to hold and the bowl is smooth enough to use. I plan on taking it with me to use during the Primitive Skills course at Briar Patch next week.

It could use a bit more sanding and then I'm going to try and seal it with a bit of mineral oil.



I do really enjoy the act of spoon carving and one day hope to be bold enough to try and rough out the profile with my axe as so many bushcrafters do. After taking off the tip of my right index finger a couple of years ago while working on an axe I've yet to regain that level of confidence.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Mungo said...

Ouch, you took off some of your finger?
I made my first real spoon a week or so ago - with my new crook knife. Lots of fun....

http://mungobah.blogspot.com/2007/08/carving-spoon-from-locust-tree-wood.html

cheers,

Mungo

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Yeah, a half-moon shape from my index finger. The doctor stitched it up real good and now it's so close to "normal" that you'd be hard-pressed to tell I'd done it.

Your link made hot That's a very nice looking spoon. The snake's not bad either. I really like the look of that axe.

Thanks for your comment,

B

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Micul Mester said...

If you want to see spoons, ...
http://miculmester.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home