American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Wool Blanket

I took a Thermarest pad and it wouldn't inflate. The first night temperatures were in the 40s and I slept on the hard ground under a wool blanket and a Wiggy's Poncho Liner. I was uncomfortable as the ground was slightly uneven.

The second night of the trip was a bit warmer and I slept on top of a folded wool blanket and under the poncho liner. This was better and slightly more comfortable.

The next morning we headed for an Army Surplus Store and George encouraged us to look at some German Army wool blankets that rivalled the thickness and quality of my Hudson Bay 6-point. For $25.75 I couldn't resist and brought one back to camp with me. That night I slept on two wool blankets and under the poncho liner. Success!!! I slept hard that night.

I've pushed the idea of a bedroll for some time now and, after last week's trip, now find myself even more convinced that it is the way to go for three-season camping.

Before leaving town, I hit the Surplus Store one more time and picked up the last of their blankets. Now I've got one for my bedroll and one for each car. Two wool blankets on top of a space blanket makes a fantastic ground mat AND can be used for extra warmth if needed.

They'll also work right up next to a small fire as the wool will resist burning much longer than the synthetics used on/in most sleeping bags.

Thanks for reading,


B

4 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger sam said...

Lucky Guy! I need to find a source for blankets here too.
You can knock up a blanket poncho which is a good thing for early mornings sat around the fire and also make a pretty good tent out of them.
You could even cannibalise one to make a bus shirt in the style of the swanndri ones.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Sam,

It really was luck. I had planned on bringing my Swannie Ranger with me and left it on the table as I headed out the door.

If I had had that I never would have entertained the idea of the trip to the surplus store. Then I never would have found the blanket.

I like the idea of a wool poncho. I'll have to look into that one...

Thanks,

B

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger cpmorgan said...

Before you go and cut a hole in your blanket look into a match coat. The latest Wilderness Way magazine has a short blurb on them.

Volume 13 Issue 2 page 41 "How to Wear a Blanket".

Versatile garment and there is no modification to the blanket.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Thanks for that tip. I'll have to get to the local newsstand to check it out.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home