American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Gear-Related Memories


Does your gear bring back memories of people, places, and things when you use it?

I pulled out my newest wool blankets last night and, as I aired them out, I was reminded of George and Kerri Hedgepeth because they were the folks who not only told me about the quality and value but because they were there during the entire time I first used those blankets to pad the ground and keep me warm.

This wasn't a, "Huh, remember George and Kerri?" type of memory. It was a flood of sights, sounds, and experiences so strong that I immediately called George on his cell so I could tell him. I got the latest information on Briar Patch's schedule for the coming year which hasn't even been posted yet.

It's this flood of memories which makes it so difficult for me to part with my gear. A Swedish Army Trangia isn't just a mess kit/cookset any more. It's a constant reminder of my first outing into the woods. It brings back thoughts of the many times it put warm food into my frozen body while I was out in some of the nastiest weather you could imagine.

Thinking about the list of gear that provides me with such strong feelings I see a very International representation:


  • The Trangia from Sweden

  • Swanndri from New Zealand

  • wool blankets from Germany

  • basha from Great Britain

  • Arborwear shirts from the US



I'm sure the list could go on and on but these are just a few examples to give you some idea.

I hope you have a chance to get out there and create some gear related memories of your own.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Pablo said...

I absolutley agree. For me it's the smell. Particularly when I get out my small tarp. It just smells of woodland and open fires. A nostalgic memory of my first trips.
Pablo.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

My basha is the same way. It smelled so strongly of woodsmoke that I had to air it out in the garage for two weeks upon my return. The smell is still strong enough to scent my entire pack and then everything has that "woodsy" smell by the time I get to set up my campsite.

Fantastic stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts Pablo.

B

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, it is Scout pattern folders and fire blackened boiling cans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home