American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

New Woods Brew

I'm officially trying to get into brewing tea both at home and in the woods.

It's been a long road so far and it's only been a week or so. I'm trying to learn what I do and don't like and have had a few absolutely horrid cups and a few darned good ones.

Today I found a new kind of tea. It comes from a company called Numi and isn't from the traditional tea plant Camellia Sinensis but from the Honeybush. They call it "Bushmen's Brew" and after I saw that I just had to buy it and give it a try.

It's good. I can certainly see why they'd call it Honeybush as the honey overtones are quite obvious. This is a dramatic improvment over that cup of Lapsang Souchong I had earlier this week.

I'm still so new to the whole concept that I can't tell you much about this tea versus the others but I know that my favorite far and away is still spruce tea followed by Rooibos and then this Honeybush--none of which are actually tea I just noticed...

Hmm...that's interesting.

I hope some of you can educate me further in the art and science of brewing up a cup in the woods.

Thanks for reading,


B

4 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger viridari said...

I've also used the leaves of brambles (blackberries, raspberries) as well as wild strawberry leaves for making a healthful infusion.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

That sounds great. Do you get some of the berry flavor in the brew?

Are there any healthful benefits to the tea?

Thanks for the comment,


B

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No fruit flavor to real bramble tea, but good. I like sassafras, Earl Grey, and Jasmine, Probably in that order.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Honeybush is PHENOMENAL!!! The Vanilla is one of my favorites!! Make sure to use boiling water and steep for 10 minutes!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home