American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, February 09, 2008

ML Woods 'N' Bush Update

I've been using the heck out of this knife ever since I first got it and I think it's finally time for a sharpening. That's quite a long time to hold an edge for "simple" Carbon Steel.

I'll convex the edge now and it should be another long while before I need to touch it up again.

I'm not sure what it was that finally did in the edge but steeling last night didn't work out the rolls as well as I'd like and I don't want to strop before steeling as I might break off the little rolls and turn them into little dings.

Overall it's been an excellent companion. The wood has suffered a bit in the very dry air but nothing unexpected. The blade is plenty tough and is thin enough to slice bacon, tomatoes, onions, and anything else I'd like sliced.

It holds up great working wood and the tip is fine enough for small skinning chores. Not to worry, nary a squirrel has fallen under my blade thus far. :)

The spine is nicely squared and will throw massive sparks with the firesteel. I think I might ask Matt to round the spine nearest the handle for maybe two inches on future models to improve comfort while keeping the square spine further up to strike the firesteel and also for scraping fatwood for tinder.

I managed to cut myself with it a week or so ago so now it's "officially" mine. Thank goodness that's over and it wasn't any worse than it was. A small nick in between my thumb and index finger on my right hand right in the webbing. A little blood, a little ouch, and we were forever bonded.

Matt, you did a great job on this one.

For those of you looking to pick up a knife like this click here and scroll about half way down the page.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great pic brian.. i need to hurry up and order one of those... i heard matt is selling a bunch of them.... great design...

mtnfolk mike t

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Dan brock said...

Don't be dissin' on "simple" carbon steel. That's the stuff that does the work of the world. So what if it gets ugly looking. Things are supposed to look their age.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Oliver,

I believe you've misunderstood my post.

I LOVE Carbon Steel. It is the stuff that "does the work of the world" and has been doing that work for hundreds of years.

Patina is not ugly. It's character that develops through use of a blade. The thicker and darker the patina the closer the relationship between man and tool.

This knife, like all of Matt's knives, has done a ton of work and will continue to do a ton of work without missing a beat. "Simple" Carbon Steel will do that.

I appreciate you taking the time to stop in and leave a comment. I hope we see you around here again real soon.

Thanks,

Brian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home