American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bark Handled Aito Pukko at Ragweed Forge

Ragnar just got in one of the most highly-recommended knives I've heard about in recent months and I jumped all over this one to make sure I had one in transit as soon as I heard that they had arrived.

The knife is the Iisakki Järvenpää Aito Pukko (Ragnar item number #1244-Bark) for $90 plus $6 shipping. (Picture courtesy of Ragweed Forge.)

If all the reports are true, this is going to be one of the most comfortable handles for carving plus it's got a real old world feel to it with the "as forged" flats, brass fittings on the leather sheath, and the birch bark handle.

Once I've got it in hand I'll be able to give a more detailed report but for now I'm just happy to report that I've managed to snag one for myself.

Ragnar's a great guy to deal with and he's got some amazing deals on some hard working tools. I encourage you to give his site a look if you haven't been there before. Who knows what gems he's added recently? You may find the knife you'll treasure forever there...

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my jaarvenpaa I got from ragweed. Great knife. I got the lappland puukko and love it. Doesn't carve as well as I thought it might, but a great knife none the less. head to head with a Kellam puukkoo it would be a tough call.... the handle is more comfy on the lappland, the kellam carves better and arrived absolutely wicked sharp, both thow firesteel sparks well, the lappland seems to have a better sheath (although the kellam is just more traditional I think)..... looking forward to a review.
Mike

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger sam said...

My Leuku is by them as well, it is a lovely blade and a well fitted birch handle. I would rather a tougher sheath but the one it has is functional.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home