American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, April 07, 2008

Wilderness Outfitters Finger Weaving Video

Dave Canterbury over at Wilderness Outfitters Archery has put another great video on YouTube. This time it's about finger weaving--a subject I've often been curious about but never tried.

Using nothing more than two pieces of cordage and Dave's video I've successfully made my first bracelet and now have a much better understanding of the finger-weaving process. I plan on making a 6-strand braided hatband for my hat later today or possibly tomorrow morning.



Dave's straightforward explanation is the best I've seen or heard on this subject. I was thinking "under, over, under" every time I passed the left-most line through the three other lines and it worked perfectly.

I had a bit of difficulty feeding the lines through the loops at the end but opening up the loops a bit and threading the lines through one at a time made everything a bit easier.

I'm going to have a go at teaching this to the kids today after school.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, Dave did an excellent job making this video, looking forward to seeing more.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I've discovered that the 6-strand finger weave is not quite as easy as the 4-strand and will require a bit more experience on my part to get it done correctly.

I've done three bracelets already and the kids are anxious to learn how to tie them once we get them some cordage that they like. (OD paracord isn't doing it for either of them.)

Thanks for your comment,


B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home