American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Greg Haugh Custom H1

I got another custom handled Fallkniven from Greg Haugh of Lone Rider Custom Grips and had Dan and Spen of JRE Industries whip up a custom leather sheath for it.

Now many of you know that I'm a huge fan of the Fallkniven F1 (I have six in various iterations) and have a standard H1 to round out my growing Fallkniven collection but this custom H1 really blows me away. The curved blade lends itself to hunting-related tasks (i.e. skinning) but the blade is robust enough to be a suitable bushcraft/woodcraft knife. The convex edge is easy to sharpen and maintain, the laminated blade (420J2 over VG10) resists rust as well as any knife I've owned, and the new blaze orange G10 handle is both easy to see and tough as nails.

I've already managed to ding the leather sheath but believe those marks add character. The sheath is built on JRE's Bushcraft platform without a firesteel loop and left-handed. As with all of Dan and Spen's sheaths, I find it carries extremely well--not too high and not too low.

The whole package is not heavy but it is certainly heavy duty. I've added a blaze orange Light My Fire Scout Firesteel to this rig (for now) and the H1 throws massive sparks. Looking at my production F1 and my custom H1 I realize that the H1 is actually thicker than the F1 by a tiny bit. This could prove to be a superb bushcraft tool.

I'm excited by the prospect of beating this knife for a while. I'll give my poor F1s a rest...for a bit.

Thanks for reading,


B

7 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a beauty brian... i've always liked those H-1's... i have a few new pieces of steel inbound, i'm getting a bit antsy, waiting for their arrival...

cheers.. mtnfolk mike t

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Hey Mike,

This is the last piece of steel I've got coming in for a while (I think) and I needed it like I need a hole in the head...

I'm very happy to have it though. Now I've got to draw a hard line and start getting rid of the knives that just aren't getting any love. It's not going to be easy because everything I've got left is a real favorite and will be missed once it's gone.

Tough times ahead I guess. :)

Thanks for your comment,


B

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger The Suburban Bushwacker said...

B
best pic of an H1 i've seen even on the makers site the difference in blade shape between it and the f1 isnt so clear, looking forward to hearing more about it in use
SBW

 
At 5:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This is the last piece of steel I've got coming in for awhile..."

Heard that before, from many an outdoorsman. You can believe that if it gives you comfort...

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

LOL!

Thanks for that.

:)

B

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where r u my friend hope u r well please dont forget my mustard seed when u get it im at bbeetle7777777@yahoo.com thanks chris from alabama

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's pretty sweet. I haven't handled an H1 yet. Maybe I need to...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home