American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Hanging up the Smokepole

Yesterday was the registration deadline for firearm deer permits and, while I've been tossing this idea around for a while, I finally made a hard decision yesterday to not register to hunt with a firearm this year. Through a series of complications over the past few years I haven't managed to make it into the woods during the season and having just seven days a year to get out there makes it quite difficult.

Instead I'm going to dive head-first into traditional/primitive archery and see if I can't get out at least one time during the much longer season.

As David Petersen says, I want to do it "the hard way" and hunting on the ground with a recurve or longbow while stalking my prey seems to be about as hard as it can get.

I'm officially calling on you, dear readers, for your help in this endeavor. Mike and Mike, as traditional archers I'm going to be bugging you endlessly with questions about shooting and equipment. Pablo, I'm going to be asking you for tracking help as I learn just what I don't know about tracking methods. The rest of you, if you've got some experience in the field of primitive archery (or archery in general,) stalking, tracking, or even gear selection I'll be asking you for advice.

This is a new page for me and I hope increasing the difficulty earns me some success in the woods this coming year.

Thanks for reading,


B

5 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

right on brian... let the journey begin...

i would be more than willing to help you get started...

cheers... mtnfolk mike t

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should have spent the paltry 15 or 30 dollars just in case you change your mind in the next 7 months. You may not be cut out for bow hunting. Even if you dont use the tags, its 30 dollars well invested in The Herd.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Change my mind?

This decision wasn't made because I don't like shooting the smokepole. It was made because I haven't yet managed to make it into the woods during hunting season due to lots of outside factors and I have no reason to suspect this year will be different.

Having months to hunt rather than two weekends gives me more opportunities to find childcare, find property, and try to get out there to fill a tag.

I'm not asking anyone to understand why I made this decision. It was one that I made deliberately and one which I do not regret. Will I come November? Maybe...but it's not likely. I don't really do regret much.

I suspect some folks will get it and other will not. No worries.

Thanks for your comment,

B

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian look at this guys site's I think its what your looking for.

http://www.wildernessoutfittersarchery.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters

Good Luck, like your site, read everyday.

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to help in anyway I can.

Although bow-hunting is illegal here, I get a huge kick out of tracking and shooting the bow even if it is at seperate targets.

Pablo.

Pablo's Woodlife

 

Post a Comment

<< Home