American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Reading the Traditional Bowyer's Bible (Vol. 1)

Today's the day I put down Petersen (I can't stand reading along with him and not being hunting alongside him any more) and pick up The Traditional Bowyer's Bible.

I think I might do some surfing on eBay for an Osage stave too--but not until I've read a bit into what I should be looking for.

I have the first three Volumes and just noticed a fourth on Amazon.com this morning so, once I get through the third book, I'll have to pick up number 4.

In the meantime, I'll be reading David Petersen's A Man Made of Elk at bedtime.

Also, Dave Canterbury of Wilderness Outfitters Archery has done a series called "The Witchery of Archery" on YouTube--a good introduction to traditional archery.



Volume 2:


Volume 3:


and Volume 4:



Thanks for reading,


B

4 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

right on brian... glad to hear you're doing your research... those bowyers bibles are great.. i need to pick up #4, it just came out..
i love reading david petresens work.. i also just picked up "a man made of elk", i hear it's already a classic...
have you checked tragang's classified's yet... there are a lot of lefty longbows on there right now...
cool vids too...

mtnfolk mike t

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Hey Mike,

I signed up over at TradGang but haven't yet found a place to write my first post. I don't want to jump into the Classifieds prior to at least introducing myself.

I think I might just make my own bow to start. I know it's not a simple process but it's not rocket science either. I may not be able to make one that's exactly what I want but I won't know what that is until I've made one.

Thanks for your comment,

B

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger backcountrybowhunter said...

B,
I am not sure if ebay is the right way to go at this point. I'd get a bow from Mike at pine hollow longbows or Gary at rattlestick bows, then you'd be sure of a good quality stave. Also check out Dryad bows (a sponsor on tradgang), they sometimes have staves and also have some really nice bamboo backed kits.
The Bowyers Bibles are the bee's knees.
Mike/backcountrybowhunter

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Excellent advice Mike.

Thank you.

I'll give them a look.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home