American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sick As A Dog!

While my symptoms haven't signified anything more than a common cold I have to admit that I've been flattened by a cold since Mother's Day.

It keeps getting worse rather than better. What started as congestion in my ears dropped into my nose/sinus and has now turned into sneezing, coughing, and plenty of other goodness...

I've been avoiding cold medicine and researching natural or homeopathic remedies online but haven't found anything that really moves this cold out of my body.

I did honey mixed with vinegar to soothe my sore throat, I drink water steeped with mint leaves, take my vitamins, and have even tried getting some "medicine in the sky." Nothing has really knocked this cold loose but all have lessened the symptoms for at least a short time.

The biggest downside to this cold is also the one that drives everyone here crazy--I wheeze. That's right, I sound like a balloon letting out air every time I exhale. Yes, even when I'm trying to sleep...

I think this is my first cold since mid-December of last year though so I can't complain too much that this one's been hanging on for two-plus weeks.

Soon my friends...soon.

Thanks for checking in,


B

8 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dad always said "Drink yourself into oblivion...it won't help your cold, but you won't care anymore." Definitely not good advice, but my genetics require that I share it.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Mungo said...

I hope we can agree to disagree. I highly advise heavy drinking - it reduces awareness of the cold, and provides moderate exercise related to the drinking motion, the getting up to fetch a beer, and regular trips to the bathroom.

That's my opinion - hope you get well soon - I had a heck of a cold a couple of weekends ago - basically it prevented me from enjoying Victoria Day long weekend - a Canadian holiday here. Hopefully yours clears up faster than mine did!

cheers,

Mungo

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

LOL! (*Cough* **WHEEZE** *Cough*)

I gave up the morning coffee in favor of tea which seems to help a bit and a nice, cold beer in the evening sure sounds good but we've been so darned busy running around that they're hard to come by right now.

I did just pick up a 6-pack of Carlsberg Elephant last night thinking it'd go great with a nice plate of some spicy Thai dish though...

B

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

lung and throat tea from Plymouth Tea... Works like a charm!!

TTFN
me

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suck on a zinc tablet every now and then can also help. So can drinking, though in a different way in that it deadens your awareness.

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brother be very careful what u have sounds very much like the onset on pnuemonia.not to scare ya but when the wheesing starts it can lead to fluid in the lungs and congestive heart failure.not trying to bum ya i just think your a gem in this world of stones so be careful chris aka gray dog from al.p.s.when ya heal remember my garlic mustard bbeetle7777777@yahoo.com

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey B,

I agree with the beetle. Sounds like early stage pneumonia. You may have to rest up and prioritize clearing that airway...otherwise you'll need a big dose of antibiotics and perhaps a trip to the hospital.

If you have any undue fatigue make an appointment with your medical doctor because excessive fatigue is usually a symptom of not getting enough air due to a secondary infection in your lungs.

A anecdotal story to put things in perspective:
My Dad (a cattle rancher) played "tough guy" and kept working with a bad cold one year. He ended up flat on his back with pnemonia and spent the night in the hospital. The doc warned him he probably scarred his lungs. As a result very year after that he was more susceptible to respiratory ailments than the rest of us.

Good luck we're all pullin' for ya. :)

Cheers,
Logan
Sacramento, CA

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you get better soon. Nothing worse than feeling rough when you want to get out and about.
I sleep when I'm ill. Rest is best. oh... brandy and port wine also helps... a lot!
Pablo
Pablo's Woodlife

 

Post a Comment

<< Home