American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, June 06, 2008

Barefooting

I've been doing as much barefooting as possible since mid-May and my feet are getting nice and tough but not without a price.

I burned the soles of my feet walking on hot asphalt a few weeks ago and have just recently shredded the bottoms of my toes somewhere.

The first few weeks are always the worst and over the winter I somehow forget just how bad it can be to tear up your feet before they toughen. As they say, your feet are your most important tool in the wilderness (and elsewhere) because without your feet you're not going to go anywhere.

Soon I should be ready to handle most anything I will walk on but I'm not quite there yet.

One downside to barefooting is the strange feelings during knifework and chopping. I do NOT like the sensation I get (pins and needles all over) when chopping wood without foot protection. I don't think I'll probably do much more of that.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started going barefoot back in march. It is so much nicer than boots. No socks getting wet. No extra weight. I am suprised at how little my feet felt pointy objects while walking the trails. Under the right conditions, it is my favorite way to go.

Wildcat

 
At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've met guys barefooting above treeline in the mountains (above about 4500ft elevation here), on the sharp angular rocks. Walking for miles like these must mean they have very tough feet.

On problem though, is winter. Can't see how it would be possible to barefoot in below zero temps.

Possibly not a good idea to go without foot protection while chopping wood etc. One accident and you could be laid up for many months, or perhaps sustain an injury that is permanent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home