American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, June 26, 2008

New Firesteel Idea at Ben's Backwoods

I saw one of these posted on a discussion forum yesterday and started doing a bit of searching to find some more information. Instead of information what I found was a site to purchase them for just under $5 so I decided to pick one up.

What it looks like is a Light My Fire Scout firesteel blank cut down and mounted in a wooden bead. What really appeals to me is the compact size and the clean lines (no knots.) I think you just loop it over itself through your lanyard hole or split ring and you're good to go.

I've been playing with a similar idea using the Army firesteel blank but haven't come to any satisfactory solution yet. Maybe this mini firesteel from Ben's Backwoods will give me the ideas I'm looking for.

Once it arrives I'll get some more pictures and specs for you.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fun to make your own handles, or use duct tape handles (then you have the tape too)

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Absolutely right. Making gear is always fun and it gives you more of an attachment to what you've made.

It also saves you money unless, like me, you have to make several attempts before getting it right. :)

Thanks for your comment,


B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home