American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Toothpaste for Mosquito Bites

Who knew Mom was right about this one?

I've been very spotty this summer on taking my Vitamin B1 prior to going outdoors and have been using it only after being eaten alive by mosquitoes.

My mom has always used toothpaste on her bites to remedy the itch and lately I've taken to giving this a try out of desperation. I've got a few choice bites in sensitive locations (get your minds out of the gutter) like on the tops of my feet that are constantly being rubbed by the straps on my Tevas.

I don't have any "normal" toothpaste around here but apparently it works with any flavor and variety. Just a small dab smeared over the bite site seems to be adequate.

Just a word of warning, the site will be a bit sticky until the toothpaste dries so don't go crawling into bed immediately after putting toothpaste on. :)

I need to do some research to find out how and why this works. My biggest concern is that what I'm experiencing is a placebo effect because I now believe that this works.

Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

Thanks for reading,


B

6 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey B,

You may want to steer clear of "normal" toothpaste due to the fluoride content. Fluoride is a carcinogen and the main reason why toothpaste is bad to swallow. Thus if you put in on an area and get it into the bloodstream it might not be all that great. Most toothpaste has baking soda as a primary ingredient perhaps this is having an analgesic effect of some sort.

Cheers,
Logan

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Logan's right. Sodium Flouride is the main and, usually, only ingredient in Rat poison. Be careful with it. I've started to use non-flouride toothpaste. Anyway, I'd say it's probably the mint or menthol in the toothpaste that helps with the itch. Usually something that has a cooling affect will reduce the itch

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Vitamin B1??? Never heard of this. How does this work?

Thanks!
Joe in Iowa

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

o brother where art thou?

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is one of my favorite things to read i start my day with bushman and have for a long time but lately its get the puter goin then dissapointment.if your gona quit let us know so we can move on. this now im here now im not is a pain.now understand im a HUGE FAN and would buy a book if u ever authored one but i miss my morning reading well enough griping please take this like it was intended much happiness and sunny days chris from al.

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does it matter if it's a placebo effect so long as it works? It's not like the placebo effect is bad for you or anything, it just means that the toothpaste is tricking your mind into doing the work for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home