American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Birthday Gear

Jake turned 5 on June 16th and I promised him a couple of special pieces of gear this year (his choice) and he chose a blue Victorinox Farmer (like daddy's silver model) and matching Sigg bottle. The Farmer took some looking but I managed to snag one on eBay and the bottle we just stumbled upon at Whole Foods one day while looking for some groceries.

A funny thing happened while I was trying to get a quick picture of Jake's gear though. He decided that he'd waited long enough for his stuff and decided to come for it. It was just laying there on the counter after all...


As soon as he grabbed them he held them up to show me that he had what I was trying to photograph and I managed to snap a picture before he ran off. I think he looks like he's enjoying the new gear though.

Now, I'm a bit concerned about giving a 5-year-old a Swiss Army Knife but he seems to be unable to open the main blade (so far) and we've discussed how everything on a Farmer except the cap lifter/screwdriver is sharp and should be avoided. I've thought about knocking the edge off the main blade just to insure he doesn't suffer his first bad cut the same way I did as a kid but I just can't decide.

What do you think?

Thanks for reading,


B

5 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger backcountrybowhunter said...

Cute kid! I vividly remember my first knife.... I don't remember cutting myself, although I am sure I did. That said, I think I would round that blade off. If her is having trouble getting it open, he might have trouble getting it closed as well, and that is where a lot of cuts seem to happen with young ones.. anyway, good stuff, teach them well!

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would probably ask him to open and close it a few times to show you he can do it safely. Kids haven't got fine motor skills like adults.
I would also let him carry it on trust but only use it under strict and close supervision until he can prove he can use it safely.
Any deviation from the rules and the knife goes back in Dad's pocket. Kind of an incentive to be responsible.
Pablo.
Pablo's Woodlife

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ive 4 kids 3 boys ages3,8.11,and 1 girl 14.all have knives but they are used and handled only under my direct watchful eye.my kids know that they are NEVER to touch a knife even a kitchen knife without asking me or mom.i think asking them to handle a knife at such a young age without making a mistake is waaay too much.my opinion though.everyone to his own.also bushman ive given a friend your name a knife maker named jeff white he makes beautiful period knives ive received a beautiful nessmuk with curly mapel scales that ive started to daily carry he said for a mention and a review he would gift you one.let me know,bbeetle7777777@yahoo.com,thanks chris from al.

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found the blog, really cool reading. Tough call on blunting blades for kids. When I was 7, I was carving a piece of wood and the blade slipped and I cut part of fingernail off of my right middle finger. Bled a bit didn't hurt at all because the blade was so sharp, dressed the cut myself because I think I was afraid I would get those knives taken away. Healed up fine no scar at all, but other than that I would agree with Pablo previous reply about supervision with an addition accidents are not a thing to fear but to be wary of. I'm trying to teach knife and scissor safety to my 5 year old currently.

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the age to start learning respect for knives, guns etc. Show them they are not play things and set rules. Later in life they will be better for it.

Who is more likely to accidentally cut themselves: the guy who was taught by his father as a young child proper use, maintenance, and respect for knives or the guy who gets his first knife at 18 without a clue about these things?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home