American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, August 29, 2008

Clever Sharpening System

I was reading Bladeforums yesterday and saw a clever method of carrying a sharpening/edge maintenance system with you that takes up NO extra room and offers the options to both sharpen and polish your edges.

Here is the post.

For those of you who can't read Bladeforums this is the gist:

Take a notepad (you do carry a notepad right?) and glue a piece of 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to the inside of one cover and load the inside of the other cover with stropping compound.

Having the abrasives on the inside of the notebook you will keep them clean and keep the rest of your gear from getting scratched by the abrasives.

When you need to polish the edge you simply flip the notepad open to expose the stropping compound and run your knife edge-trailing over it a few times. If you need more you can flip open the other side of the notepad and do the same with the sandpaper.

I have been carrying a piece of leather loaded with compound in my pocket but it requires me to pack it in a plastic bag to keep compound off of my pants and everything in that pocket so this method is worth a look.

I've glued up a notepad just like in the post and I'm going to be giving this system a try to see if it works as well as it seems to me it might.

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home