American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, August 18, 2008

Looking for a Kuksa

I want a Kuksa, the traditional wooden Sami drinking cup.

HERE is an example of a few kuksas.

These cups are carved from birch burl most often and have one or two finger holes.

I would really like to carve my own but birch is about as common around here as gold, diamonds, or oil. It just doesn't grow here naturally and the landscaping trees are much too small to provide me with a piece of wood large enough to carve a kuksa.

The kuksa is naturally insulative because it's wood so hot liquids stay hot and sub-zero temperatures won't cause the kuksa to freeze to your lips.

Properly carved and maintained, the kuksa should last a lifetime of use.

Thanks for reading,


B

5 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bri,

I don't leave home without my kuksa. They're really great. Careful about the terminology though. The link you're pointing to have kasa's. These have flat handles without holes. Kuksa's have finger holes.
Pablo.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Well Pablo, I'll be the first to admit my inexperience with kuksas.

I'd like to make one with finger holes so that'd be a kuksa right? Is there a difference between one-finger and two-finger models?

Thanks,

B

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I've edited the post to show an actual kuksa instead of a kasa as Pablo pointed out. :)

Thanks,

B

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think there's any difference between lapland kuksas with 2 or 1 finger hole. As far as I know it's only the kasa's that are made mainly in Sweden and are the flat handle design.

Traditional lapland kuksa's are made out of birch burl. The trick is seasoning them properly with salt so they don't split when carving them and it also seals the wood after carving (I think it's boiled in salt). The salt gives an after taste but goes after a couple of weeks.

I've never made one, so you may have to search on the forums if you want to have a go yourself.

I got a mate to buy one and give it to me, as it's unlucky to buy one yourself (apparently).

Pablo.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I make them, if you are interested, out of Birch burl, and I can inlay a design if you want of bone, antler or ivory. kidron@pioneercable.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home