American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, August 03, 2008

SNAKES!

We've got snakes here.

Loads and loads of snakes.

That may explain the lack of mice.

I was out pulling weeds yesterday and today and have noticed dozens of holes in the ground where our reptilian hunters reside.

Today I actually found a shed skin from a good sized garter snake and, not ten minutes later, saw the former owner of that skin as he/she slithered past my foot to escape the cold spray of the garden hose.

This is a big deal for us as we had one snake in eight or nine years at the other house and now I see them daily.

The only venomous snake we have in Lake County is the Eastern Massasauga and I'm afraid I'd have a hard time identifying one at a glance still. We've got to study a bit harder now that I know how many snakes we have around the house.

We sit on the outside edge of a wetland unlike any other in the state and I suspect the snakes are out to feed on the numerous frogs which are feeding on the heavy insect population (all right in my back yard.)

I hope to snap some pictures in the next couple of days as we're headed for even more snake-friendly weather (hot and sunny with slightly cooler evenings.) We see them warming themselves on the sidewalk as the sun goes down because it's nice and warm from a full day of sun and heat.

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snakes are our friends - keep the rodent and insect populations at bay. If there are many snakes in one area there must be a good food supply for them, so the snakes are doing their job. Live and let live!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home