American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, September 26, 2008

Busse Combat NMFBM

I've mentioned in the past that I'm a big-knife kind of guy and this is certainly a big knife. This one arrived in the mail this morning and I've been shooting pictures of it ever since.

The knife is .25" thick and the spine has been nicely rounded making the stock look closer to 3/16" than .25". The blade is convex from spine to edge and, with a little work, will be nice and sharp. I'll wait to sharpen it up to *WOW!* until I've got a sheath from the boys at JRE Industries to protect me from the edge. I don't know what they're going to come up with yet as I've given Spen complete creative freedom with this one but I'm so excited to see what he comes up with that I may just insist me whip something up while I pace back and forth outside the shop like an anxious father-to-be. :)

When I'm in the woods I carry a smaller knife (Fallkniven F1, Diving Sparrow Boreal or Sparrow Special, etc.) and an axe so I don't have a real use for a big blade. There is, however, something to be said for the heft and length of a monster knife that really speaks to me. Maybe I was a sword-carrying warrior in some prior life. I don't know. I just know that I really, really like the big pieces of steel.

This one really reminds me of my Newt Livesay RTAK when I first got it. It's got a very long blade but isn't overly thick nor overly heavy and the handle is comparably comfortable and should be good for extended use as all the high spots have been rounded and smoothed to prevent blisters and hot spots.

Overall I'm favorably impressed. I hope that holds true after I've used it for a while.

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home