American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

More Cool Toys from JRE Industries

While I was down at JRE Industries this weekend I asked Dan if there were any new products coming in that he could talk about and he showed me a handful of really great new items that I couldn't leave without. First is the Willett Firesteel Belt Loop (shown here.)

I've had the Willett on my belt since Sunday and have had no problems with firesteel retention even while wrestling with Jake and Laura. As a matter of fact, the only problem I've had since putting it on my belt is forgetting that my firesteel is no longer in my pocket. Having lost a number of firesteels over the past few years I get a little stressed when I pat my pocket to find my number one means of firestarting missing.

What really makes this product great in my mind is the simplicity and uniqueness of it. "Why didn't I think of that?" was the very first thing that came to mind when Dan put the prototype in my hand.

The other really neat item they're carrying now is also fire-related. Fire Fixins is a clever, inexpensive package with a bundle of jute twine dipped in paraffin and a chunk of fatwood with simple instructions:
Fluff It! Scrape It! & Spark It!

Easy enough.

Today is the perfect day to give these new products a try and I'm going to build and start a fire today using nothing but the products I've picked up at JRE Industries over the past month (i.e. Fire Fixins, Light My Fire Army Firesteel, Victorinox Lumberjack as a striker, and the Willett to carry my firesteel to the site.)

Best of all, these two items are inexpensive. The Willett was just $7.95 and the Fire Fixins is/are $3.75. So for $20 you've got a great way to carry your new firesteel and for less than $25 you've got your tinder too. I think they've got a couple of Red Lumberjacks on the shelf too if you're interested in that sort of thing.

If I were to pile up all of the sheaths and gear I've gotten from the boys at JRE it'd take a satellite photo to shoot the picture. It's both a blessing (for the gear junky) and a curse (for the wallet) to have them within driving distance.

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger scoutinlife said...

Nice set up an a great reveiw..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home