American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Fighting (My) Nature

As the temperature cools my body is craving gooey fats as something inside is telling me that it's time to start packing on calories to make it through the winter.

Unfortunately for those cravings, I'm trying hard to lose weight (fat specifically) and not gain it. I have a permanent shelter, warm clothes, and a constantly burning fire that will keep me warm all winter.

Getting to the gym is easy, finding the motivation to work out is not. Somewhere deep inside is a voice telling me that burning calories at the gym goes against the basic survival instinct that "remembers" (somehow) that food gets scarce during the cold months and that the body will require more calories every day just to keep me alive (my Basal Metabolic Rate.)

I'm not worried though. I still have plenty of what Ron Hood calls "Survival Muscle" to keep me going when times get tight. :)

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When times get tough and food is scarce those couple extra pounds can certainly come in handy as a source of calories and also insulation.

If you think about it, there are about a billion people in this world who wish they had your problem of having so much food to eat you want to lose weight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home