American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Swanndri Morning

Ah, cooler weather seems like it's here to stay for a while now.

This morning I pulled out my Swanndri Ranger and it seemed the perfect weight for the morning chill.

I look forward to this time of year as I've spent a small fortune acquiring wool and synthetic clothing from some of the finest manufacturers including Filson, Swanndri, and others. I seem to have an inordinate amount of cold-weather clothing compared to the rest of my wardrobe (mostly blue jeans and t-shirts) and that stuff just sits on the shelf or hanger until the weather turns colder.

The smoky smell of my Ranger seems to have gone finally. I'll have to remedy that soon. As wool is much harder to burn I tend to use the Swanndri as an over layer if I'm tending a fire. I've had too many expensive fleeces with burn holes to keep up that method. This means my wool has a nearly constant smoky smell which helps cover my scent as I tread gently through the woods and it helps identify me to those around me as the "outdoorsy" guy. :)

Yesterday I read a post online about Empire Canvas Works and I may have found another company that will get some of my money for cold-weather gear. I really like the looks of their Wool Blanket Shirt, Arctic Anorak, and True North Mittens. Be advised before visiting the link that fans of more traditional outdoor gear may find this an expensive click.

The Arctic Anorak may be a cheaper alternative to the Ventile Anorak I've been eyeing for so many months too...

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Empire Canvas Works looks NICE! I was warned, and still failed to listen :D

Brian

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are interested in good Ventile garments Made in Scotland take a look at Hilltrek www.hilltrek.co.uk
Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home