American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Florida Wildlife

We did see some wildlife yesterday while walking around the Environmental Learning Center including this red-bellied woodpecker.

We kept hearing a bird calling out and I thought it was nearby but we just couldn't locate it. Then I turned around and it was at the top of the tree right behind us. I managed to get off several pictures but only a handful came out and this one was best for identification as it gives you a good look at his head, face, and body for coloration.

We also found this brown anole looking pretty bad. Note the blind right eye, the missing tail, and the healing injuries right behind the head and right in front of the tail stub. He/she was clinging to a wall at the wet lab and, for a time, I thought dead. Laura saw the leg twitch though so apparently he/she stayed still long enough for me to snap a picture.

We also saw minnows swimming under the mangroves and signs of rabbits. There was a big vulture hanging out near the osprey nests and a gopher tortoise was living in a hole just outside of the welcome center but we didn't see her.

On Saturday morning I'll take the kids back over there for "Tracks and Trails" which is a guided tour of the property and, I hope, a fun learning experience.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good. We live in such different worlds this time of year. You with your anoles and mangroves in the swamps, and us with our moose in deep snow and mountains. Thank you for sharing!

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I think my world is more like yours. We're only here on vacation and, frankly, the 80 degree Christmas is going to be a real stretch for me.

It is a nice change of pace for me but I prefer the snow and cold to hot and humid and would choose it any day of the week were I given the opportunity.

Thanks for your comment,


B

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The nose of that lizard looks to snub to be a brown anole.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home