American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, March 13, 2009

Broken In or Broken Down

I've got this pair of boots that I've worn very nearly every day for the past two or three years. Sure there have been the days I didn't wear shoes at all but most of the rest of the time I wore these boots.

Now they're really comfortable and well broken in. I do everything I can to maintain them from brushing them clean to treating them with SnoSeal a couple of times a year as needed. They're still going to go from broken in to broken down one of these days and they'll need to be replaced.

They've got Vibram soles which can be replaced and the leather's still in pretty good condition but how much longer are they going to resist the icy cold water I seem to find myself crossing this time of year?

So, the question is, how long can I make these boots last? And when should I think about getting a replacement to start breaking them in?

It's always a sad day when I have to retire a piece of gear but I think retiring a good pair of boots may be the saddest...

Thanks for reading,


B

4 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I think your better off getting a new pair of boots before you really need them. This gives you a chance to slowly break them in and not just rush into wearing them (which may cause you foot problems - blisters, etc.). Plus, if you get another pair now and start wearing them some, it will extent the lifetime of your current boots! Great topic!

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. You should get the replacement now so they're somewhat broken in before you retire this pair. I had a pair in the Army that kept the shape of my foot and ankle even when I wasn't wearing them. The key to getting over the sadness of replacing them is to get a new pair that you're really excited about. Sounds like you're already doing everything right in terms of preservation.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Wildcat said...

If the tops are still in good shape, I opt for having them re-soled. I just had a pair of US made Redwing boots resoled. I guess it depends on the economics of it too. It averages about $75 to have boots resoled. So you need to weigh out the options. I paid $200 for the US Redwings nine years ago so it made sense to pay the $75. I hope to get another nine years for my $75.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger scoutinlife said...

I would resole the ones you have and if possible buy a identical pair to one's you have since you like them so well.........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home