American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Got a Package Yesterday

I got this box from Ragnar at Ragweed Forge yesterday for a project I've been planning and working on for a bit. That's 15 Mora 510s.

I mentioned just a week ago that I was in a sharpening mood didn't I? These 510s need some attention out of the box to get the bevels as flat as they can be but then they'll be ready for some refinement.

The plan is to take these knives to different levels of finish on the sharpening and then do a comparison at various cutting chores to find out what finish lasts the longest, which cuts the best, etc. If, for example, a 600-grit finish on the bevels was good enough then spending the extra time to take a knife to 2000 grit would be time better spent elsewhere.

I have a hypothesis that I'll be testing over the next several weeks once I get these bevels flattened on my DMT Coarse stone.

Stick around, this could be educational.

Thanks for reading,


B

8 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger The Suburban Bushwacker said...

That's dedication B

I bet I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing your results

SBW

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger backcountrybowhunter said...

Sweet experiment! One of my favorite knives, just wish I could get that handle in a OD green.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous KintlaLake said...

It must be Mora Day in America, AB -- check out my post today: http://kintlalake.blogspot.com/2009/06/sharps-solo-viking.html.

Great minds think alike.

I'm anxious to see how your batch turns out.

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Pablo said...

I'll be following this one with interest. Good luck.

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it wrong that that pic made me salivate?

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun experiment.

Just keep one thing in mind. A scandi grind will take a substantial amount of time to get it from 600 grit to say 8000 grit (what I keep mind at). BUT.....and this is a big but....once it is there the maintenance is easier and less frequent. There are lots of aspects to consider in that experiment.

Take care,
Brian

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger sam said...

Nice idea for an experiment. Thought you were going to open up a school for a minute there!

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous SurvivalTopics.com said...

Yeah, keep us posted on this one. It is a great experiment, since you are using identical blades. Not many people get a chance to do this with quality specimens!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home