American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, July 24, 2009

Barefooting

I got started quite a bit later this year than years past but I'm barefooting as much as possible now.

The kids and I have been taking a walk around the block and on the trails in the evening and the bottoms of my feet are constantly filthy and sore. Ah, the early stages of toughening are the most fun...

I do this every year and get my soles nice and tough by the time the first snow falls and then jump into wool socks and boots for the next three to four months and I lose all that I've gained. Plus there's the nightly foot care routine all summer that involves a knife, tweezers, and soap and warm water to take out the things that don't belong and to wash off the crud from a day out.

The kids think it's normal (you know, as "normal" as anything can be around here,) my wife thinks it's gross, and I don't think about it at all.

It must be quite comical seeing the barefoot guy going for a walk with the two kids and their Camelbak Mini-Mule packs with hydration tubes in their mouths...the neighbors don't seem too concerned by it though.

Maybe my strange version of "normal" is becoming normal for everybody else around here.

Must be time to mix it up a bit more. :)

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about barefooting without the pain/dirt? I've just been introduced (and converted) to Vibram Five Fingers and they really are as good as people say. Just walking around is fantastic, and running (which is the main reason I got them) is a whole new - and better - experience. I see more pairs in my future!

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous SurvivalTopics.com said...

Yeah, barefoot walking is very good for the feet and overall health.

Good link Schwuck - I've been playing around with trying some.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home