American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Koster W&SS Necker

I had the good fortune to snag an "extra" blade from Dan Koster's recent run of neck knives for the Wilderness & Survival Skills sub-forum at Bladeforums.

I had an opportunity to use the skeleton blade yesterday and it's very comfortable in the hand, extremely sharp, and the ergonomics were very good. It's kind of like a paring knife or a fixed blade Swiss Army Knife (SAK) in size, shape, and use. In other words, a utility piece with fantastic cutting ability.

I saw this as an excellent launching point for a neck-based survival kit or the ultralight last-ditch setup you always have with you.

Specs:
1/8" thick 3V Steel
6.5" OAL
2 7/8" Blade Length
1.85 oz. (53 g) Knife Weight
2.55 oz. (72 g) Knife in Sheath

Today I'm going to build up a kit around this knife that can be worn on the neck and I'm going to use my numerous MBHanzo survival rigs as a basis for which items should be included.

Up first, finding a Ranger Band (innertube) that will fit over the sheath...

I'll have some pictures and another write-up when I'm finished.

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home