American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, August 31, 2009

Join Scouting!

Over the weekend, Jake and I joined Cub Scouts.

The big kick-off meeting was yesterday and we got to spend some time building a cool first aid kit/neckerchief slide, learning how to whip the end of some rope, and start a fire with a metal match.

Now, these are all skills Jake already has but it was fun to see him do them (mostly) on his own with his peers.

What I found especially surprising was the level of preparedness on the part of the Boy Scout instructors. The cordage session was run by two Scouts and a leader and they had one dull knife between them and they needed to cut roughly 15 pieces of cordage per session. Fortunately we got there a little ahead of our group and I loaned them my new Victorinox Soldier and Leatherman Micra to cut what they needed.

Then I sharpened the dull SAK on my Fallkniven DC4.

I loaned out my Light My Fire Army firesteel to the firestarting table and it was a treat watching the kids light dryer lint but I was a bit shocked at how many parents would encourage their kids to give it up and let another boy try before the scout had succeeded. If at first you don't succeed...give up and let somebody else try?!

Not in my den...

Thanks for reading,


B

6 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Deal!

This year my son is old enough to start (starting 1st grade) and we are all set up to go. We are both looking forward to it.

Brian

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Alex said...

I really enjoy this blog, but this is my first post to date. I'm writing as an Eagle Scout and someone who went through 13 years of scouting in my lifetime. But in addition to an Eagle Scout, I'm writing as a queer atheist, a combo that is not as accepted in all camps of scouts. I hope that everyone would want to teach their sons and all young boys in their life tolerance and acceptance. I always encourage boys to join the scouts, but I also encourage them to make sure that they are joining a troop/pack that teaches to accept everyone's differences. There are a lot out there; it's just about finding the right one for your son.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger KintlaLake said...

Scouting is one of the best things that happened to me as a kid. Good for you and Jake, AB.

Seems that those deferring parents were more interested in winning congeniality awards than in their kids' achievement. We gotta fix that sort of thing.

That said, Alex is absolutely right.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger sam said...

Hope he has a great time. I never was a scout but I'm looking into volunteering to help out when we get jobs here.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger LIM said...

Very Very cool site

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger J. J. Magnum said...

I applaud you Brian! Speaking as an Assistant Scoutmaster, father of a First Class Scout, and former WEBELOS Leader I can tell you that Scouting is one of the most rewarding activities you can engage in with your son.

This last July we spent a week at Summer Camp where our troop was able to host two troops of Canadian Scouts. What an adventure. I have to say it was different as Canadian Scouts are Co-Ed. So perhaps I should correct my above statement and say that Scouting is one of the most rewarding things you can do with your child.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home