American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Knife Maintenance

Another day of the same old routine...

At least I've been able to spend some time sharpening. I took care of every blade in the kitchen and then moved on to my well-used Fallkniven F1 which I spent some time polishing last week.

The polishing took just enough of the edge off to prevent it from cutting well so I knew it was time to finish the job and bring it back to screaming sharp.

First, I made a few passes on a ScotchBrite belt on the belt sander to evenly satin my hand-polished job making sure to let the blade stay cool. Then I made two passes in each direction on my JRE field strop and the knife was literally popping hairs from my arm. (Have I mentioned how much I like the black compound they load on their strops?) Wow! It's better than new...

My 3G F1 still sits, waiting. I know it needs some testing but the laminated VG-10 blade has done so much and done it well. I know how to sharpen it quickly and effectively. It has handled every task I've set it to.

Over the weekend I carried one of my custom F1s but it's also laminated VG-10...

If it ain't broke...

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home