American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Made a Mistake

I was asked recently about the process I use to recondition a knife once it's been used heavily and is in need of some TLC.

I have every intention of doing a detailed post on that with pictures and video.

The thing is, I just did this with the Koster W&SS Neck Knife yesterday and didn't even think about documenting it until I was already finished.

This is the 1/8" thick 3V neck knife I beat up the edge on to see how hard it was to bring it back to razor sharp and then had some problems finishing the job. In the process of trying various abrasives I scratched the bevels to heck and the knife was moderately sharp but ugly.

Yesterday I reversed all the damage I have done, thinned and convexed the bevels, and now the knife pops standing arm hair and the bevels look as good as new.

The first step now is to take one of my knives out and beat on it mercilessly to make it nice and ugly...any requests for a particular knife?

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I've got my grandfathers old 4" stainless steel blade from the 80's that could use some TLC. Any knife that would parallel that would be great.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger AJ said...

I've read that Fallkniven ships their F1s with fat convex edges that will stand up to the worst an inexperienced airman can throw at it in a survival situation, but that edge isn't the best for bushcraft right out of the box. If that's true, how about one of your many F1s?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home