American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Proven

While I was out snapping some pictures yesterday I started piling up some of the well-used gear I tend to take with me into the woods more often than some others. There's something about well-used kit that really appeals to me. I don't know if it's the simple fact that usefulness and reliability has been proven or if it's simply the familiarity that comes with extended use but these are some of the tools I use.

In the pile is my Fallkniven F1, an old red Victorinox Pioneer, an old Fallkniven DC4, a Bahco Lapplander folding saw, the Light My Fire Army Firesteel, and the old broken but accurate compass housing that's a reminder of the rough baggage handling at the airport that cost me a GPS and two compasses. It, like the other bits of gear pictured, is a survivor. It's proven.

Some things I forgot, my SwissTool and my old Zebra billy can, should have been included as they've also proven their worth over and over. The billy can was still in the house but there's no excuse for leaving my SwissTool out of the picture as it was on my belt where it ALWAYS rides in a JRE Industries sheath.

I can still remember where the gear came from and there's still a connection with them all. They're also proven in my mind.

The F1 and DC4 came from Roger at Knifeworks, the kydex sheath came from MBHanzo, and the SwissTool, firesteel, and leather sheath came from JRE Industries. They, too, are all guys you can count on.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger I am Stan said...

Unjani..the folding saw looks very useful
are they affective..

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your polishing job on the F1 came out very well. I finally got the hang of sharpening convex blades. I appreciate your help. Thanks, Jeff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home