American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, October 26, 2009

Swedish Army Trangia Day!

What a perfect day to pull out my old Swedish Army Trangia and fire up some hot chocolate.

It's cold and rainy and we haven't seen the sun in days.

Sarah and I sat outside waiting on the buses this afternoon and I got the brilliant idea to pull out the Trangia 5-piece set and see if we couldn't successfully fire up the burner and bring some cold water to a boil.

I did the whole operation one-handed while I was holding the baby and the hardest part was getting the sparks from the Magnesium Firestarter into the burner. That actually required the second hand but Sarah did her best to help me out.

So, I sit here typing with a nice big Guyot Squishy Bowl full of hot chocolate.

I think I'm going to head back out for some more weather...

Thanks for reading,


B

7 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Pablo said...

I haven't used mine for a while now. What a good idea.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger J. J. Magnum said...

Just a question Brian, that guyot squishy bowl that you are having your hot choclate in, how is it on the hands when containing hot liquids. My son will be at Philmont this summer and if the bowl is too hot to hold he may not want it.

JJ

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Jim,

The squishy bowls are great. They do get hot when boiling liquids are poured in but not too hot to hold.

Care must be taken though because the silicone gets softer when hot and the bowls are even more squishy than usual.

You drink from them a bit differently than you would a cup or mug too. You cup your hands around the bowl giving it support and it'll warm your hands at the same time as it's warming your insides.

B

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger J. J. Magnum said...

Thanks! I may have to get one to 'experiment with' before he goes; if he doesn't like it I guess I could add it to my pack... LOL!

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Bushman Joe said...

Where can I purchase the Swedish Army Trangia?

Is there retailers in US/Canada that sell these, as I don't want to go through Ebay.

Thanks

Bushman Joe

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Bushman Joe,

Cheaper Than Dirt has them HERE for $10.

They're advertised as Aluminum but are actually stainless steel pots.

Being used Mil. gear they can be a bit rough but they work just fine.

If you get one, stop back and let me know what you think of it.

Thanks for your inquiry,


B

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Bushman Joe said...

I just check out the site and they wanted $45 for shipping to Canada not including the duty, A little out of my budget for now.

But thanks for the info and I got to say I love this blog. I just found it 2 days ago and I already read all the archives on your blog and up to date with your postings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home